The following web site provides you information on the „ The dredging of the side branches of the Danube at Rackeve(Soroksár)(RSD), structural erection and – reconstruction”, that is the RSD Project.
Short history of the RSD
In the 19th century the RSD used to be a live side branch of the Danube. Today it is rather like a lake „artificially controlling the body of the water by two river estuary structures, and which water supply depends on the incoming and outgoing quantity of water”. It is at the same time is a significant recreation area with high priority, popular fishing water near Budapest with significant natural values.
The planned improvements within the frame of the „the dredging of the side branches of the Danube at Rackeve(Soroksár)(RSD), structural erection and – reconstruction” Project:
- Structural erection: the construction of the water drain of Tass damaged at the 1956 flood,
- Reconstruction: the reconstruction of the present two structure, the Kvassay lock and Tass waterlock,
- Improving of a monitoring system: the improving of the monitoring of the RSD regarding ecology, water quality, hydraulics, purchase of equipments.
- Name of the Project: The dredging of the side branches of the Danube at Rackeve(Soroksár)(RSD), structural erection and – reconstruction
- Project id.: KEOP-2.2.1/2F/09-2009-0002
- Investment budget:
- Structural erection (planned): net HUF 3.135.190.000 + HUF 70.000.000 reserve
- Reconstruction (contracted): net HUF 444.200.000 + HUF 5.000.000 reserve,
- Monitoring system improvement: implementation (contracted): net HUF
220.500.000 + HUF 8.000.000 reserve, equipment purchase (planned):
net HUF 49.000.000
The planned closing of the implementation is 14th May 2015.
The Ráckevei (Soroksár) branch of the Danube – the „RSD” – and surrounding areas is not only the most popular fishing area, but also a high priority recreation area with nationally protected natural values. Its popularity is also increased by its close location to Budapest. With the relatively stable, regulated water and the low flow rate – in the green parkland setting - the river branch not only invites those who intend to relax here but for residents of 22 towns provide a permanent living space.
Beside the Budapest districts of XXIII., XXI., IX. also Tass, Dunaharaszti, Dunavarsány, Áporka, Majosháza, Szigetszentmárton, Taksony, Kiskunlacháza, Ráckeve, Dömsöd, Makád, Szigetbecse, Szigetszentmiklós, Tököl, Szigetcsép és Szigethalom settlements are interested in the preserving of the values of the branch of the Danube.
One of the most important prerequisite of the defence of the recreational feature and natural values of the area is to ensure the good quality water. The water quality of RSD is loaded with many problems, at present. The impact of the nutrient load caused by the incoming cleaned sewage, and those without cleaning coming from the bank side is further increased the bad status of the river by the increasing sludge, the shallow water level, the insufficient flows and water stagnation. During the past few years, as a consequence, in many cases – mainly related to a lack of oxygen– water quality turned to a critical level which was accompanied by the death of fish, snail and shells, indicating that the branch of the Danube has reached its critical state of loading.
The action plan defined under the Gov. decree no.: 2022/2000. (II. 4.) on the improving of the quality of the water of the Rackeve(Soroksar) Duna came to life due to the negative state of the RSD which – beside other regulatory tasks – specified the below improvements:
- The improvement of the water flow of RSD;
- In order for the better state of the Ráckeve (Soroksái)-Danube stream the removing of the sludge accumulated and settled and its extraction and placement is necessary according to the requirements of nature-, environment protection, health and safety, land development and land conservation.
- The developing of the RSD monitoring system which is capable for the long-term observation of the underwater and surface water quality in order for reaching and keeping a better water state.
- Creating the conditions for a necessary State support for the building of a sewage system for transfer of the communal waste contamination deriving from the recreation area and directly threatening the water quality.
- Considering the nutrition load of the RSD, by the involvement of the metropolitan municipality, the transfer possibility of the water deriving from the South Pest sewage plant to the Danube main stream must be investigated.
The preparation of the project started based on the Gov. decree of 1067/2005 (VI. 30.) as “the improvement of the water management and water quality of the Ráckeve- (Soroksár-) Danube branch” which lasted from 2006 until the end of 2009.
The 4 elements of the full RSD project:
The dredging of the middle part of the main stream and the side branches.
II. Structural Erection
Building a new water drain and renewal of the Kvassay and Tass structures (water locks).
III. Water transfer
The transfer of the cleaned sewage water of the South Pest waste water treatment plant and the rainwater to the main stream of the Danube.
IV. Removing of contamination
Building of a sewage system for the recreation area at the river bank.
During the program of KEOP between 2007-2013 time period the following components were given financial support among the four project components I. II. and IV.:
Removing of the contamination from the river bank
The beneficiary of the project component: RSD Parti Sáv Önkormányzati Társulás (2335 Taksony, Fő út 85.) www.rsdpartisav.hu
The dredging of the side branches of the Danube at Rackeve(Soroksár)(RSD), structural erection and – reconstruction
The beneficiary of the project components: Országos Vízügyi Főigazgatóság (1012 Budapest, Márvány u. 1/D.)
In the case of the last project component the Government has withdrawn in its Gov. decision no. 1281/2012. (VIII. 6.) the “dredging” part, therefore the technical description of the project was reduced by the “dredging” component.
The present status of the implementation:
- Structural erection: under the process of public procurement tender
- Reconstruction: the implementation has started, the design phase status
- Monitoring system improvement: Implementation: the implementation has started, the design phase status; Equipment purchase: preparation of the process of public procurement tender